May 19, 2013

A Social Experiment in Paris

True Story

In Morocco, men I don't know often make comments at me for no apparent reason.  This means that I literally cannot leave my house without some guy busting my balls.  Sometimes the "bonjour", "ca va?", "hey sweetheart", "ciao bella!", "bueno seara", and "I want to f**k you in the ass" comments don't bother me.  Sometimes they make me want to punch someone in the face.  Needless to say, busting my balls EVERYDAY.  

I am actually more confused than anything about these comments.  I mean really?  Really.  Are these comments supposed to impress me?  Make me want to date you?  What EXACTLY are you trying to get from me with these comments?  Honestly, I want to know.  So when I was in Paris I did a little experiment to find out exactly what the benefits of randomly yelling greetings at people of the opposite sex on the street are.  I decided to do my experiment in Paris and not in Morocco because first, I was on vacation and wanted to have some fun, and second, because given the relative equality of men and women in France as opposed to Morocco, a woman yelling at a man on the street in Paris is probably as normal as a man yelling at woman on the street in Morocco.  MAYBE.  So whenever I was sitting in a cafe or walking down the street, when I saw an attractive man I would say in the sweetest most obnoxious voice I have "Bonjour! Ca va!?"  And this is what I discovered...

1. The men in Paris are EXTREMELY attractive with their blue eyes and I don't care but I do care street style.  

2. Parisian police officers can fill out a uniform like you can't BELIEVE. 

3. The men you yell at will ignore you or be confused as to what you are doing.

4. The police officers will respond with "Bonjour Mademoiselle" because I think they are legally obligated to do so?

5. The one group of men that turned around and validated that what I was doing actually worked were drunk...yet attractive!  

6.  I did not make out with any French men or police officers. Sad face.

Moral of the story is that randomly yelling at people from the opposite sex on the street in the hopes of getting some action doesn't work. If you want people to give you strange looks it works.  If the other group of people are drunk it partially works.  If it is a police officer it works because of the law, but all you get is an amazing smile, nothing physical.  

While discovering that randomly yelling at people from the opposite sex on the street in the hopes of getting some action doesn't work, my experiment led me no closer to finding out the reasons why some men in Morocco feel the need to bust my balls.  However, I do know that someone once said that constantly repeating an action that has been proven by science to not work makes you an idiot, so that is comforting.

No comments: